Smoky, spicy tofu scramble and rich fluffy pancakes, what a way to wake up! This breakfast hits the spot when I’m looking for motivation to get out of bed. To me, this meal says instant comfort. Testing this recipe brought me back to a time when a 13-year-old me learned to meal prep just so I could have this 3 or 4 times every week before school. While I am no longer strict with my veganism like I was back then, I still like to maintain a plant-based lifestyle, especially when looking for an easy, satisfying meal. Cooking this encouraged me to slow down and find gratitude with each moment in the kitchen. I hope this recipe also allows you to connect with your own peace 🙂
Spiced Banana Pancakes
1 ripe banana
2 cups flour (I used a mixture of oat and whole wheat)
2 tablespoons sweetener
2 tablespoons oil or melted butter
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon coriander
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
1 1/4 cup milk of your choice
1 1/2 teaspoon vinegar or lemon juice
- Add vinegar or lemon juice to your milk, mix, and set aside. The acid reacts to the milk, creating a homemade version of buttermilk.
- In a large bowl, combine all dry ingredients and whisk thoroughly to remove any lumps. Set aside
- Whisk mashed banana, sweetener, and oil/butter together until smooth.
- Grease and preheat a skillet, turning it to medium-low heat.
- Make a well in the bottom of dry ingredient bowl, pushing the flour mixture to the sides. Add 1/3 of banana mix and slowly combine flour until mixed through. Now add 1/3 of buttermilk and whisk. Keep repeating this alternate mixing technique until all ingredients are incorporated. Be careful of overmixing- this can overwork your pancake batter and make things flat.
- Scoop about 1/4 cup pancake batter onto your hot skillet and cook for 2-3 minutes or until bubbles have formed. Flip and cook on the other side for 1 more minute. Repeat until you have your desired number of pancakes.
1 block extra firm tofu, patted dry
1/2 large white onion
1/4 red bell pepper
2 cloves garlic
1 cup kale, washed
1 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
1/2 teaspoon cumin
1/4 teaspoon coriander
salt and pepper to taste
- On a large chopping board, finely chop onions, peppers, and garlic. Remove stems from kale and cut the leaves into strips.
- Preheat skillet and add 1 tablespoon olive oil.
- Mash tofu with a fork in a bowl until crumbly, resembling the size of scrambled egg pieces.
- Sautee onions and peppers until light golden brown and caramelized. Add spices and saute for an additional 2 minutes to awaken their flavors.
- Add crumbled tofu to the pan, stirring to coat in all that deliciousness. At this point, the tofu should be absorbing the spices (mainly turmeric) and start turning yellow. Continuing sauteeing for a few minutes, or until all the flavors have had a chance to infuse.
- Toss in kale, cook for one more minute, then turn off the heat. The residual heat will continue to wilt the greens.
Serve these two beauties together for a delicious breakfast.
Please try these recipes and let me know what you think!
Sending you fluffy pancake vibes ❤
P.S. Topping your pancakes with chocolate sauce isn’t necessary, but it’s so worth it 😛